View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Who is at Trim-Slice Helm? 

Post Who is at Trim-Slice Helm?
Since Irad left CompuLab, who is the new Product Manager for TrimSlice?

I do wish Irad the best of luck on his new endeavour but I wouldn't want my TrimSlice to end up as fuel ;)

Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:15 am

Post Re: Who is at Trim-Slice Helm?
I would also like to ask who is minding the Trim Slice store?

There are quite a few of us who spent $350 for the Trim Slice. I would certainly hope it is not at the end of the road after only 1 year! There is too much potential in this platform to just abandon it. Even with the roll out of the Intense PC,Compulab needs to devote some resources to Trim Slice.

And as far as Nvidia is concerned, they need to get off their duffs and provide Compulab with all the needed drivers. Until Nvidia gets in the game, the Trim Slice won't even be able to match the performance of the $35 RP which has recently siphoned off so many of our developers.

Sat May 05, 2012 4:08 am

Its about time Compulab started receiving some real criticism for the way they have handled the sale and development of the Trim-Slice. For a product that was launched over a year ago the state of the support and drivers is to put it politely, Poorly lacking. Perhaps it is the lack of any real complaints that has allowed them to shove the Trim-Slice product to the sidelines. I know Nvidia is partially to blame for the observed (obvious) contempt they seem to have for Compulab.

I'm not here trying to flame the product, I'm a relatively new user but I did pay full price for my Trim-Slice H250 having considered the PB ES. On paper I preferred the specs and aesthetics of the Trim-Slice so bought it anyway.

Its a while since I did any real programming so I'm more like an enthusiastic user until I put some more time in, but I was taken aback by how poorly it ran my personal all time favorite Quake II. Quake III is just unplayable and reading though the forum there doesn't seem to be any point trying to compile XBMC on ubuntu. I know there may be better uses for this box but XBMC and Quake III are the benchmark software used to judge any hardware implementation going forward.

My RasPi should be landing on my doorstep this week, its going to make an interesting comparison.

IMHO the TrimSlice is an ideal example of an excellent product (on paper) made bad by poorly implemented software and support.

Sun May 06, 2012 4:26 pm

With respect to Irad if you are still browsing these forums,

I probably wouldn't have made that post if you were still involved since I know how difficult it is to see your brainchild crippled by lack of support.

You seemed to be the only one at Compulab who cared.

Sun May 06, 2012 4:42 pm

I think all of us who have adopted the Trim Slice would like to see it thrive and continue to develop. However, for that development to happen, there must exist a vibrant development community and a corporate presence by Compulab as well. Trim Slice, especially due to its comparatively premium price, needs to not just match, but to exceed the performance of lower priced alternatives.

I have recently been considering purchasing a Fit PC or an Intense PC, but considering the present state of Trim Slice support I am having second thoughts.

Nvidia's lack of support for Trim Slice is understandable yet unfortunate. Nvidia has until now had a lock on the phone and tablet market. They didn't need to invest time and effort in the support of an obscure, cutting edge platform that has a small market share. However, things may be about to change for Nvidia. Phone and tablet makers are beginning to adopt other Arm SOC solutions such as TI's OMAP. Some of the competitive platforms feature graphics that are equal to or better than Tegra. It may now be in Nvidia's self interest to better support systems like Trim Slice. The last thing Nvidia needs is a group of developers left with a bad taste in their mouth.

Mon May 07, 2012 2:25 pm

My intent for the post was not to bash CompuLab or the TrimSlice.

I have high regards for both the Company and the Product.

As far as the TrimSlice goes it does have a lot of potential for developers (at least for the Android ones IMHO).

There is enough information to keep the ball rolling and as far as the drivers, the ones supplied by Nvidia are pretty good as the 4.0.1 Android demo demonstrates, and some test with L4T.

I do use my TrimSlice to test Android development for my project (porting a 3D engine to Android), I do have other hardware with a Tegra 3 but I want to balance my development with the Tegra 2 for scalability and as a base for performance.

Other than the overlay stalling the framebuffer I have no issues and I just don't use the mouse for my tests so I'm happy with my setup and I get decent framerates on my tests.

I do not feel abandoned by no means, there is a lot of resources and information and just the knowledge I acquired by using the TrimSlice as a development tool has surpassed my expectations. It's a great Tegra 2 development kit so I'm a happy camper.

My post was more asking for someone at CompuLab to champion the device and the community.

I do understand is up to us to keep the ball rolling but we do need someone at CompuLab to take over the Product Manager role and be our Nvidia liaison.

Tue May 08, 2012 5:50 am

Trim Slice is an excellent platform from the hardware standpoint. Compulab and especially Irad Stavi did a wonderful job of engineering and implementing a feature rich system using a power efficient, very small form factor. Complements are in order for such a thoughtful product.

However, the present level of software development and implementation affords our community and Compulab significant opportunities for additional improvement. Once goals such as true high-def video playback, improved op-system stability, XBMC implementation, etc. are achieved, Trim Slice will truly come into its own as a platform.

In the wake of Irad Stavi's departure, it is important to all of us that Compulab continue its active promotion and support of the project by actively engaging the community. Whether that engagement is through a single person or team does not matter, so long as the lines of communication stay open.

So Compulab, keep up the good work.

Tue May 08, 2012 1:59 pm

miguelvp

I can thoroughly understand why your happy with the Android port, I was impressed by it too, though it kinda makes me even more frustrated when compared to apps running under Ubuntu on the same hardware.

But I do believe these are the type of comments that Compulab need to hear and take notice of.

Tue May 08, 2012 2:14 pm
Site Admin

Recent organizational changes precluded us from having sufficient CompuLab personnel presence at this forum and providing adequate support to Trim-Slice customers. I apologize for this situation and for any inconvenience and trouble that were caused by that.

We are reorganizing the Trim-Slice support team effective immediately and assigning additional CompuLab personnel to address the current lack of support and to ensure that Trim-Slice customers get the full level of support guaranteed by our sales terms. CompuLab is committed to maintain the Trim-Slice product in accordance with our product life-cycle terms.

It will probably take us some time to go over all the support issues that have accumulated at the forum. We intend to make a concentrated effort later this week in order to address most of the open forum threads. I would highly appreciate that in case there are any issues that we missed or that do not get addressed properly you contact me directly via forum private messaging.

--
Best Regards,
Igor Vaisbein,
CTO,
CompuLab ltd.

---------------------------

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:53 pm

nice to know about the manager and more details about team behind compulab

new york seo company

Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:37 am
Profile WWW