View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 selling my Utilite pro + my feedback to Compulab 

Post selling my Utilite pro + my feedback to Compulab
Hi there,

I decided to sell my Utilite Pro. Those of you who are interested, please send me a PM. For the rest of you, this post will summarize my experience with the Utilite Pro, and explain why I decided to get rid of it.

I bought my utilite pro to use it as a media center. When it was first launched, it was basically advertised as "the first ARM computer that can run Ubuntu". Because I use Ubuntu as my primary box I thought: "hey, I know how to handle Ubuntu, I can for sure manage a Utilite Pro".

But that was wrong. Having never flashed anything anywhere, the technicalities of setting up XBMC on a Utilite pro (my ultimate goal) turned out to be too much. I spent countless evening trying to make everything work, with mixed results. At one point I sent my Utilite back to Israel to be repaired, thinking that I had a defective model.

It came back with a message saying "there is nothing wrong with the Utilite, except for the damage you made with your attempts" [i.e. erasing the bootloader, that is now restored]. Anyway, after receiving my Utilite back, I decided to give up. Note that I'm based in Paris. The machine came back to me just before Christmas, and I can show you the letter from Compulab saying that it works fine.

A comment for Compulab. Two pieces of information convinced me to buy a Utilite (1) "Utilite runs Ubuntu out of the box" and (2) "Here is a video of Utilite running XBMC". Wha was never specified is that there is quite a bit of work to go from (1) to (2) there is a fair amount of work involved. You may want to improve your communication around this.

Cheers

Andrea Canidio

Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:48 pm

Post Re: selling my Utilite pro + my feedback to Compulab
Hello Andrea,

I can really recommend you to try out latest Android image + Kodi combination, it is really working well. Of cource it is not the same as having Ubuntu linux and XBMC combination but it sure can do the job and it is easy to setup (1h). And if you do not like to use Google's services, which is understandable, you can use the unit without an Google account, just disable all unneeded settings and allow apps to be installed on other sources like kodi.tv/download/.

www.compulab.co.il/utilite-computer/for ... =61&t=2225

Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:15 pm

Post Re: selling my Utilite pro + my feedback to Compulab
Hi 2kanaa,
thank you very much for your message. It must be something psychological, but after banging my head against my utilite pro for so long, now I want to just get rid of it. Anyway, I'm glad to know that, finally, it works as it was supposed to work.
Cheers!
A

Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]