View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Utilite SW development update 
Site Admin

Post Utilite SW development update
While our initial plan was to initiate migration to 3.10.17 kernel and release a newer Linux image already some time ago, this effort has unfortunately been delayed. During our work on the newer SW environment, we have encountered a number of additional instabilities in our current work-kernel 3.0.35 as well as some issues in the WiFi driver and were forced to do a context switch on our development in order to address these issues and ensure that customers who already deployed units based on existing software are able to run reliably. This stabilization effort is now complete and we are able to resume working on newer deliverables.

The following details the current status and near future plans for Utilite SW:
* As I mentioned above several system stability and WiFi stability issues have been resolved in kernel 3.0.35. The updated kernel would be released within about a week as version 6.3.
* The results of our 3.10.17 efforts so far are avaialbe as Yocto-based demo image. The image is based on hf build and supports most Utilite features including GPU and VPU. The image is avaialbe at http://utilite-computer.com/download/utilite/unofficial_unsupported/Yocto/Yocto-CL-Beta1.img.xz.
* We have been also working on improved feature-set for U-boot. We have enabled HDMI console, USB keyboard and USB boot. The new U-boot release is expected within the next two weeks.
* Our next plan is to work on newer Ubuntu image (probably 14.04) with 3.10.17 kernel. Since Freescale have stopped their Ubuntu-based development, the main challenge we expect would be integration of GPU and VPU support. Hopefully, once we have some initial indications on that, we would be able to provide some ETA.[/list]

---------------------------

Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:22 pm

Post Re: Utilite SW development update
igorv wrote:
* As I mentioned above several system stability and WiFi stability issues have been resolved in kernel 3.0.35. The updated kernel would be released within about a week as version 6.3.

Does the "system stability" issues include the igb driver?

Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:44 pm
Site Admin

Hello Johan,

There have been no igb specific changes. However we do see improvements in igb behavior in the recent 3.0.35 kernel. It is likely that changes in system clock settings and reset sequence improved PCIe stability.

Best Regards,

---------------------------

Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:03 pm

I can't clone from gitorious (nothing new there) for one last shot at 3.0 kernel.
Really think the linux4kix 3.14 source would have been a better start point, but I'll take anything on offer

Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:03 pm

More than a week has passed .. where's the kernel update 6.3?

Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:07 pm

Will the new release have joystick and midi enabled?

(joydev.ko, alsa-sequencer, etc.)

Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:24 pm

When you state you are going to do something and not actually do it, the least you can do is provide updates once things get delayed or complicated. Otherwise, you're losing your credibility.

We are waiting for this kernel update since May. Compulab is all very excited about Utilite2, but it shouldn't expect anyone taking it seriously if Utilite1 is not properly maintained.

Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:29 pm

I totally agree with the above.. Ive been asking man times how long it will take to get utilite working properly. You keep ignoring question and im really disappointed about your announcement of ul2. First Device Has sw Problems?! Okay lets build a New one and leave stupid customer with 200 $ brick. That not Good Business. :| i hope people read These Forums before buying your products.

Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:15 pm

Admittedly, an earlier release of an updated OS package would have been beneficial to the community. There can be no denying that the existing 3.0.35 system has issues and shortcomings, and I have experienced and been frustrated with some of those issues. Further, the community would benefit from more frequent updates regarding the state of OS development.

That being said, Utilite1 can hardly be characterized as a brick. I literally use my Utilite1 for hours each day for a very diverse array of applications - quite successfully. These applications range from simple web browsing to software defined radios to spectrum analysis to control and instrumentation. Yes, I have experienced some issues as have others, but nothing I have experienced in my extensive use of Utilite has caused me to declare that the system is unusable or inoperable.

I believe Compulab's commitment to release an enhanced/patched version of the existing OS prior to concentrating on migrating to a newer kernel is a wise choice and promises to provide a better experience in the short term with the promise of a much better system to follow. The alternative is to extend the wait for an updated kernel without an improvement in the current situation, and that wouldn't seem to be very palatable for the greater community. So, it would seem that allowing a few more days for Compulab to tie up the loose ends with v6.3 would seem preferable to having them make a premature release with possible issues.

I think we as members of this community should be mindful of the fact that we are not dealing with cookie cutter ISA systems. We are instead dealing with trend setting, custom platforms which are almost universally emanating from smaller, innovative and nimble companies such as Compulab. Unfortunately, the smaller, most innovative companies don't always have the unlimited resources to immediately resolve every issue. This is in contrast to the offerings of the techno giants who are sometimes mired in the mud in terms of innovation. Those techno giants may be able to resolve issues very quickly, but they may be resolving issues on a quite bland product.

With regards to Utilite2, I can't wait for it to arrive. The buzz is that it will benefit from official support by a popular flavor of linux - which will benefit the community and free Compulab to pursue even greater innovation.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:10 am

I would sort of echo hassellbear's comments.
Initially I was quite disappointed after I purchased the Utilite Pro.
As I am a bit of a newby to Linux and I didn't have much success with the Utilite at first, I put it back in its box and kept an eye on the forums.
Someone suggested to give Arch Linux a try and after quite a bit of learning, I have successfully got my Utilite running really well.
I am using it for sabnzbd, nzbdrone, couchpotato, file sharing, media sharing, bittorrent sync, ebook server, web server and the list can go on.
The performance is fantastic and I am now quite happy with it.
It is a shame that I haven't been able to use it for what I had intended but I am definitely happy with the compromise.
So, if you want to have a bit of fun, give Archlinux a go :-)
Cheers,
Ron.
Tasmania, Australia.

Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next