View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Complete lack of support 

Post Complete lack of support
OK, where are the newer kernels and distros?

How about MINT running on ARM, a UTILITE distro of FEDORA?

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:28 pm

Post Re: Complete lack of support
Apart from kernel, http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7 ... le/utilite is upto date
Kernel will probably be so at 3.15, or if we get dts files

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:58 pm
Site Admin

SupremeSpod wrote:
OK, where are the newer kernels and distros?

How about MINT running on ARM, a UTILITE distro of FEDORA?

I believe that as can be seen throughout this forum Utilite users are successfully running Ubuntu, Android, Debian, Arch, Gentoo, Volumio and Kali. IMHO calling this "complete lack of support" is somewhat incorrect.

CompuLab SW team is currently working on migration to a newer kernel.

Unfortunately, last time we checked, Linux Mint team does not work with ARM architecture. You are most welcome to convince them to reconsider.

Fedora ARM team are still working on a Utilite port. I definitely prefer this port to emerge as soon as possible, however they have their own schedule and considerations and there is little we can do to change that.

Best Regards,

---------------------------

Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:54 pm

Dear ProductManager,

I am running a Utilite-Pro happily(!) as main Desktop.
With some help, I am using a Debian with hardfloat and recent kernal but mere slowish framebuffer as graphics-device.
On SD-card there is the official ubunutu-image with proper GPU driver but only soft-float (why?).

I hope really really much, that there soon (?) will be an Ubuntu version with hardfloats.
Is that feasable?

It really pains me, not to max out the capabilities of this device in particular as I intend to continue using it on a daily basis at home.

Thanks alot,
Martin

Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:04 pm

In the case of distros or other things that individuals in the community would like implemented for Utilite, I would encourage individual community members to reach out and establish contact with the developers of what they want. The worst thing those developers may say when approached is "no". However, they may become interested and support Utilite.

For instance, the Volumio port for Utilite is a direct result of individual members of the community reaching out to both Volumio's developers and Compulab. The end result of the community facilitating engagement between Compulab and Volumio's developers is a successful port.

The same model may well work for other implementations. Anything that individuals can do to advance Utilite benefits all of us. And by all means, if you have accomplished something with Utilite please share it for the greater good of the community.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:24 am

I decided to send my Utilite back to Amazon. Over the past three weeks I tried a lot with the Utilite pro, but I was not aware that I could not solve simple problems. E.g. I could not get music out of my Utilite using a Samsung TV via hdmi. I would only go back to the Utilite when a 'standard' Ubuntu will work. Until this time the Utilite is only a Computer for developers.
My focus was to get htpc at low power with advanced perfomance. Now I am using a Shuttle for roughly the same Money and a Standard Ubuntu Installation was done in 30 min.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:44 am

From my perspective, Compulab's support for Utilite is pretty darned good ! Try to get the same level of personalized support from the big guys, including Nvidia - you won't. In fact, it was Nvidia's lack of support that stifled the development of Trim Slice. Thankfully, Utilite is not Nvidia based.

Keep up the good work Compulab !!

Fri May 02, 2014 4:12 am

Is there any update concerning Linux Mint on Utilite or ARM product?

Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:12 pm

I have heard anything about update for it, pal

Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]