View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:29 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 RedSleeve Linux 

Post RedSleeve Linux
RedSleeve Linux is the first ARM port of a distribution derived from the same upstream distribution as CentOS and Scientific Linux. It runs on any ARMv5 and later SoCs, and I use it regularly on a Toshiba AC100 which is also Tegra2 based, so it should work fine on the TrimSlice, too.

In case anyone here is interested in taking such a distro for the spin, take a look here:
http://www.redsleeve.org/

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:10 am

Post Re: RedSleeve Linux
I'm certainly interested in this distro as I use mostly Fedora and CentOS for my home systems. I am however not familiar with how to install an OS by copying a kernel.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:33 am

You misunderstand - you don't install by copying the kernel. You install the usual Fedora-ARM way by extracting the rootfs tar ball to the media you intend to use, and then copying /lib/modules, /lib/firmware and /boot on top of the rootfs so that uboot can find the kernel and the kernel can find the firmware and the drivers.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:55 pm

gordan wrote:
You misunderstand - you don't install by copying the kernel. You install the usual Fedora-ARM way by extracting the rootfs tar ball to the media you intend to use, and then copying /lib/modules, /lib/firmware and /boot on top of the rootfs so that uboot can find the kernel and the kernel can find the firmware and the drivers.

Ah, makes more sense now, hopefully I can get it up and going sometime in the next week or two when I can pick up my trim-slice back home.

Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:22 pm

I installed it but don't know the username/password of that file system.

I does boot via the serial tty

btw i did already tried root/fedoraarm

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:11 am

well I did modify the shadow file so I got root access.

It didn't bring any GUI, mouse seems to have power and the kernel found all of the devices.

Network was not configured so I had to manually start it, but it does work (at least it could ping)

I didn't setup the dns and I really don't know this linux flavour and don't know what to install to get the GUI running.

Edit: well I found out the rootfs had vim so I edited my resolv.conf and i'm installing gnome-desktop right now

I haven't put the nvidia proprietary files on the rootfs yet

Update:
No go, plymouth is not found (I think this is a boot animation)

Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:04 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]